Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Shoe-fiti?

Had to capture this image of what look like a new pair of Nikes slung over power lines near Maple and Ridge.
Wikipedia and other sites say this is known as shoe-flinging or shoefiti.
Various theories are that people sling shoes over power lines to:
1) advertise a local crack house nearby
2) commemorate a gang-related murder or death of a gang member
3) mark the end of a school year
4) for a member of the military, mark the completion of basic training or leaving the service.
5) demonstrate a form of bullying.
But others say that it's just a way of getting rid of old shoes, or shoes that don't fit anymore.
Anyway, I just thought it was funny. My theory is that someone got drunk and right now is really regretting that decision to show off their shoe-slinging skillz.

3 Comments:

At November 20, 2007 at 8:44 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Funny pic. I see this all over the place in Lawrence each time I visit. I'd say that certainly backs up your drunken revelry theory!

 
At November 21, 2007 at 5:52 AM , Blogger Chris said...

I had never heard of this. Next time I get drunk I'll see what I can do.

 
At November 21, 2007 at 8:49 AM , Blogger chitknit said...

The first time I witnessed this phenomenon I was at Journalism Camp at Ball State when I was a junior in high school. Back then, someone told us that people flung shoes over the power lines because they had just lost their viginity. But I guess if Wikipedia doens't say that, it must not be true...

Did I mention that Wikipedia is my mortal enemy?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home