Wednesday, November 12, 2008

OK, I'll bite


At the invitation of my friend Denise, I'll play along with the blog tag game making the rounds.

Here are the rules:
  • Link to the person who tagged you.
  • Post the rules on your blog.
  • Write 6 random things about yourself.
  • Tag 6-ish people at the end of your post.
  • Let each person know he/she has been tagged.
  • Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
Six random things about me:

1. I eloped with my husband in 1985 and took his 15-year-old son with us on our honeymoon.

2. I covered the biggest news story of my entire career when I was 23, just six months into my first job. I was the first reporter for United Press International on the scene of the Hyatt Regency skywalk collapse in 1981 in Kansas City, in which more than 100 people died. I was the only UPI reporter on the scene from about 6:30 in the evening until about 10:30, when reinforcements arrived. My feet were so bloodied and bruised from running to pay phones in my Dr. Scholl sandals ( pre-cell phone era) that when I arrived back in the UPI newsroom about 3:30 a.m. to write, my boss took off my shoes, soaked towels in warm water in the bathroom, and wrapped my feet in them while I was writing.

3. I love gourmet food, but one of my favorite foods is from my childhood: mashed potatoes topped with kielbasa sausage and sauerkraut. True German peasant food.

4. President Ronald Reagan once told me he liked my shoes. They were pink. I was in the press pool at former Kansas Gov. Alf Landon's home near Topeka to cover a meeting between Reagan and Landon in honor of the latter's birthday. Specifically, he said, "I like your shoes." We were waiting for a news conference to begin and I guess he was just passing time. I held onto those shoes long after they went out of style, throwing them away just a few years ago.

5. I flunked driver's ed when I was in 9th grade, then also flunked my next two driver's tests with a state motor vehicle inspector.

6. I believe in love at first sight because it happened to me. I was 21, an intern in the newsroom at the Salina Journal, when Dale Goter walked in wearing a softball uniform. He was 31. I didn't even know who he was (he was the paper's City Hall reporter) but I knew I was in love. (It took a few months to convince him, however.)

I tag:

Tess

Ashley

Chris

Jill

Amy

David

7 Comments:

At November 13, 2008 at 5:39 AM , Blogger mengi34 said...

Oh, your six things are so GOOD! I'll need a few days to think of my six, I think...but I WILL post! Going to Ewood this weekend so will hopefully have some time:)

 
At November 13, 2008 at 5:59 AM , Blogger Lori said...

i can't wait to read yours. you have tons of interesting stuff to write about.

 
At November 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Jaime said...

Reagan was a shoe guy, huh? That's pretty cool.

 
At November 16, 2008 at 7:25 PM , Blogger chitknit said...

All right, I'll work on it. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you - been out of town since Wednesday, with sketchy internet access. Had no idea I'd been tagged.

Loved reading yours.

I'll do some thinkin'.

 
At November 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM , Blogger chitknit said...

P.S.
Great photo of you at the top of this post, by the way!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:39 PM , Blogger chitknit said...

Okay, mine's up.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Maria said...

Wow! Loved the item about your being the first reporter on the scene of the Hyatt collapse. That must have been some night.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home