Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hoarfrost


During clear frosty nights in winter, soft ice crystals sometimes form on trees, shrubs, grass or any object that has been chilled below freezing. And that is how hoar frost is produced. We had some beautiful examples of hoarfrost today in Wichita, and I tried my best to get a good photograph while walking Barney along the river. But my efforts pale in comparison to my friend Jaime's amazing photographs. Here's an example: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgCacUgfsYetbNC6tJrxGsG7-496SHn2gfPqCMeEBX-sjBldgUZXPC2yXZ49L1KVYchLvygheDINEwvHn5d4Gx8jNvgR9aPUnjJG025IoYFqMU5il76Lr-Pq64jSaap07xLrr0cGCXcwuTS/s1600-h/011210hoarfrost.jpg

1 Comments:

At January 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Wasn't that a beautiful weather phenomenon? I vote for a better name for it. (Although hoarfrost is pretty hilarious ... )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home