Sunday, August 19, 2007

Water wars

For a variety of reasons (environmental, economics, etc.),
I've sworn off bottled water. But I bought some yesterday to offer to my friend, Marty, and her 8-year-old twins, Jack and Sophie, who came to dinner. (They like their water as pristine as possible.) This led to a challenge from Dale at dinner. He predicted neither one of us could tell the difference between bottled water and water from our tap. With Jack and Sophie eagerly watching, Marty and I both sipped from glasses into which Dale had poured water. We took turns, and had to turn our backs so as not to be influenced by each other's choices. And Dale made us take the challenge three times each, to rule out lucky guesses. The upshot: both Marty and I correctly identified the bottled (and better-tasting) water every time.
That hasn't changed my mind about shunning bottled water. I can live with the taste of tap water, so I will, as my small contribution to saving our planet. But at least at home I've settled the longstanding debate with Dale over which tastes better.
Thanks for your help, Marty!
By the way, here are a couple of snaps from our dinner, which consisted of turkey burgers, hot dogs, grilled onions and bell peppers, potato salad, guacamole and Klondike ice cream bars!

Dale, with Sophie in the back.
Jack and Marty.

5 Comments:

At August 19, 2007 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Denise said...

Was this posted using your new Mac?????

 
At August 19, 2007 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Tess Knadler said...

I recommend getting a Brita filter system to keep in the fridge. It's probably about $50 initial outlay and then you need to replace the filters from time to time. I think you're getting out ahead of a trend on the bottled water issue.

 
At August 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM , Blogger chitknit said...

Good job on the shunning of bottled water! It looks like we haven't done that yet, because I'm always refilling old bottles to take on runs/walks, but we never buy it anymore.

Also, I have a 32-oz. Nalgene bottle that I freeze every night and take to school so that I can have icy cold water all day long. Getting in that habit has really made me drink more water, that's for sure.

 
At August 19, 2007 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Denise, I didn't post this original item on my new Mac, but i'm posting this reponse on it.
And Jill, I've determined I'm going to do the same thing -- freeze water in the bottle and take it to work.
And TJ, yes, I already have a Brita system. That was the water Dale used in the taste test. Still, not quite as good as bottled!

 
At August 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Nalgene bottles are the best. I've taken mine on multiple camping trips, and even drops onto rocks haven't cracked it or broken it. If you're in the market, they have a great selection at Backwoods in Bradley Fair.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home