Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A word about holiday lights

I love all of the outdoor lights this time of year, but some are definitely better than others. These new LED-lights? Tastefully comtemporary.


This tree? Elegantly decorated... (apologies for the poor quality of photo)

This house? Sublime.

All I can say about these is WT(bleep)?? I know much has been written and opined already about these garish and low-class decorations (apologies to those of you who have them), but I still can't get over that people actually think this looks good? Am I right, or not? All I can surmise is that these are purchased and displayed by people who have been persuaded to do so by their small children or grandchildren.

4 Comments:

At December 12, 2007 at 6:46 PM , Blogger chitknit said...

ughhh. I'm with you on the light up inflatables. Give me a good, old-fashioned Griswold-esqe twinkly lights show any day!

 
At December 12, 2007 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Travis said...

I wish you were a WichiTalk columnist Lori. That way, you could write about this and call half of our readers a bunch of hillbillies. (insert banjo jingle here)

Anyway, i'm with ya. In fact... I pretty much find most outdoor christmas lights tacky.

 
At December 13, 2007 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Chris said...

I wouldn't have the inflatables in my yard, but they do draw attention.

 
At December 16, 2007 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Suzanne said...

I have no inflatables in my yard -- or lights, for that matter... I'm such a slug. But I can almost ASSURE you the reason for those things is small children. I know that every time we pass a tastefully decorated house, my kids are like, "Eh." But when we see huge inflatable snowmen or Santas or, heaven forbid, those Peanuts snowglobes, they're like, "Whoa!!!! That is so COOL!!!"

There's a reason children under 10 should not decorate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home