Sunday, February 24, 2008

Milkshakes, and more


Dale and I saw "There Will Be Blood" this weekend, so I finally get why everyone seems to be parodying the "I drink your milkshake" line. It was, indeed, bizarre and over the top. And, ultimately, very bloody.
In case you haven't heard, that line is one of the last uttered by the great actor Daniel Day Lewis in this engrossing and odd film. Go to YouTube and type that line into the search field and you'll see all kinds of parodies, as well as real snippets from the movie. This is one of my favorites. (I haven't learned how to actually download video onto my blog yet, sorry.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0GznCEHTk

Although I do hope Daniel Day Lewis wins the Oscar for best actor tonight, it's only partly because of his role in TWBB. He's always been a favorite for me. I loved him in "Last of the Mohicans" (talk about some scene-chewing lines, and his chemistry with the otherwise ho-hum Madeline Stowe was alone worth the price of admission)


But I also have a special fondness for him because he played a supporting (but very crucial) role in one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, "A Room With a View," in which he plays the arrogant and foppish Cecil. (Shown here wearing the straw hat, in the middle.)

If you haven't seen "A Room With a View," you must, if for no other reason than it has what I consider to be THE best movie kiss of all time (no, Daniel Day Lewis is not in that scene. His kissing scene in this movie ranks as one of the WORST movie kisses of all time, which is what makes his role all the more interesting. It is so against type.)


This photo is from the scene in ARWAV where the kiss (the good one) takes place. Don't worry, the movie is in color. This black and white photo was the only one I could find of THE KISS.

So now you have all of my thoughts on Daniel Day Lewis and his movies. He was also great in "My Left Foot" (for which he won the Oscar for best actor) and "The Age of Innocence." Check one of them out!

2 Comments:

At February 24, 2008 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Denise said...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

 
At February 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Chris said...

"There Will Be Blood" was the only best picture nom I didn't see this year. I always try to see all five, but couldn't find time in the last three weeks to see TWBB. I will see it someday and then hopefully I will understand the milkshake mystique.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home