Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day at the farmer's market

I discovered on my trip to the farmer's market Saturday that it's still too early in the season to expect much produce. I had hoped for peas, potatoes, tender onions, etc., but found none of that. Could it be because I didn't arrive until 10 a.m.?

I did find asparagus, which Dale and I ate tonight. It was fantastic. I think the butter had something to do with it.

Mostly what you find at the market now is lots of plants -- herbs, veggies and flowers, like this citronella plant, which had a wonderful citrusy fragrance.



I wasn't fooled by these tomatoes. They're so perfect looking you wonder if they came off the supermarket shelves.


This broccoli plant looked a little intimidating.


This Mennonite couple was selling baked goods, but I managed to resist the temptation.

There was live music....


And live animals. The rules say that no dogs are allowed at the farmer's market, but I'm not sure this darling creature even qualifies as a dog yet.

3 Comments:

At April 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks for checking it out Lori. I was debating on whether to make the trip across town...now I'll wait for a few weeks.

 
At April 29, 2008 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Lynette said...

So now I know I won't look silly when I take pics at the Farmer's Market. :-) I've meant to go the past couple weeks, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed early. Maybe I'll make it to the Old Town one when it opens.

 
At April 30, 2008 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Lori said...

I went on Saturday, too, and purchased the asparagus. Brian & I grilled it up with some tilapia for dinner, and it was very tasty indeed. I did give in to the tomatoes, though, which weren't as delicious as I imagined they'd be. But they did fill my craving for a tomato sandwich. Another great find: Larkspur loaf! Mmmm.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home