Monday, February 25, 2008

Gotta love Jon Stewart


Don't you? I thought he was great as host of the Oscars last night, so while I'm sitting here Monday morning waiting for the plumber to arrive, I'll share with you some of his best lines of the night (stolen from another Web site.) I plan to share some of my other Oscar insights later...

Riffing on the writers' strike that almost threatened to cancel the Oscar show: "I'm happy to say the fight is over - so tonight, welcome to the make-up sex."

About how inclusive the Oscars were this year:
"Even Norbit got a nomination, which I think is great. Too often the Academy ignores movies that aren't good."

"They said that having the Oscars helped end the strike. So before we spend the next four to five hours giving each other golden statues, let's take a moment to congratulations ourselves."

"[Away From Her] was about a woman who forgets her husband. Hillary Clinton called it the feelgood movie of the year."

About Anton Chigur, the villain played by Javier Bardem in "No Country For Old Men" - "combining Hannibal Lecter's murderousness with Dorothy Hamill's wedgecut".

"This is the environmentally-conscious green Oscars. So tonight our presenters will be walking all the way to the microphones."

"In case you're wondering what we do in the commercial breaks, we sit here making catty remarks about the outfits you're wearing at home."

"Our next presenter [Penelope Cruz] speaks four languages, and earlier tonight she told me "I'm calling security" in all four of them."

"Tom Hanks has won two Oscars but is not nominated tonight - so if you ask me, he's got no place being here."

"This year's slate: psychopathic killer movies. Does this town need a hug? All I can say is, thank God for teen pregnancy."

3 Comments:

At February 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM , Blogger Bets said...

Jill brought me to your blog from her post tonight. Thanks for sharing all his great one-liners!

 
At February 25, 2008 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Lori said...

hi bets. so you're a Jon Stewart devotee, too? right now, he's the one man in america i feel i MUST have. probably won't happen, tho... thanks for reading!

 
At February 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Chris said...

It takes a very special delivery to pull off Hannibal Lecter and Dorothy Hamill references in the same sentence! That one was my favorite.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home