Monday, May 5, 2008

Mea culpa!

Three people scolded me today for not updating my blog in a week, so here's my feeble attempt to do so...
Dale and I (but mostly Dale) have spent time monitoring the nest that a couple of killdeer have deposited in the field near our house. Killdeer are amazing birds. They build their nest on flat grounds in the middle of nowhere. They form a small, bowl-shaped hole in the ground, then usually lay four eggs. For the past three years, we have watched this process. Last year, tragically, a hail and windstorm destroyed the eggs, which makes you wonder how the killdeer manage to propagate their species. We are hoping for the best this year. Once the birds hatch, they learn to walk within a matter of minutes, then they all run, following mom, to the cover of nearby brush. That means these babies are going to have run (not fly) about a block to get to brush by the river. Good luck, crazy birds.

Also this weekend... we had the grandkids over. Here's Josie with her beloved new Webkinz.

We took care of Norton, Denise and Nick's pug. Here's Norton and Barney, all tuckered out from hours of playing.

And I won $40 at our poker party Saturday night. I'll post again when something equally exciting happens in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home